April Wrap-Up

5/01/2017



Can you believe that it’s May already? It’s time to do another wrap up. I didn’t read a huge amount, but managed to get five books in, including one graphic novel! Every book this month was enjoyable, especially the few at the end of the month, which have now built me up into a reading frenzy. Let’s get to it shall we?


Books of the Month



Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt – One of my best friends recommended this to me, telling me it was odd but really good. Going into it I had no idea what it was about but I ended up really enjoying it. Tell the Wolves I’m Home is indeed strange, but it’s very poetic and emotional. I loved that it was set in the 1980s, and that June loved medieval stuff, standing out from the crowd. There’s also a few references to musicals! Of course the most profound part is the exploration of aids and the prejudice against homosexuals in society. So many different relationships are investigated in this novel, you understand the actions of each individual. Overall, 4 stars from me!



Dark Places by Gillian Flynn – Dark Places is the third book of Gillian Flynn’s that I have read. Like her other novels, this story is grim and twisted. I found myself cringing at a few descriptions, but despite that I could not help myself from turning page after page. Each chapter alternates between the present day and various characters involved in the family massacre. Flynn kept me guessing right up till the end; filled with mystery this book is definitely not predictable. I didn’t even realise how much of a buzz the book had given me until I’d insisted on describing it to my friend. Another 4 star rating!



Patience by Daniel Clowes – The only graphic novel of this month, and my lowest rated. If I could just say, "It was alright", then I would, that pretty much sums up how I feel about this book. I picked up Patience on a whim when I saw it in the library. Upon reading it I get the impression that it tries to be unique, given the colourful artwork, however I found it to be no different from any other time travel books I’ve read. It’s a bit strange, perhaps too strange for me, and we get taken on a journey where you end up back where you were in the beginning. Despite all this, I have given it 3 stars as I like the raw quality it has, and I liked some aspects of the story line and character building, especially surrounding Patience. I’m glad I read it, but I wouldn’t take the time to read it again.



Geekerella by Ashley Poston – Another spontaneous read, I saw Geekerella in the bookshop, read the blurb and just knew I had to buy it! I’m a massive fan of fairytale retellings, especially Cinderella despite how many times it’s been done. This is definitely my favourite book of this month. It’s quick, cheesy and nerdy at its best! It tells about community, and striving for your own wellbeing. Setting Cinderella in this modern storyline where fandoms are the norm was a spectacular idea and worked so well! I found myself either laughing or feeling ridiculously angry at the things Elle goes through. I loved this book so much that I wrote a review about it! 5 stars across the board!



Me Before You by Jojo Moyes – After reading such a lighthearted and fun book, I decided to carry on with that streak and picked up Me Before You. I’ve been planning to read this since I found out about the movie, so it’s about time I picked it up! Me Before You is definitely fun and lighthearted at times, but it also gets very emotional. I loved Louisa and Will, watching their relationship bloom and grow. I won’t say much as I don’t want to spoil the story, plus I’ll be posting a 4.5 star review in the next few weeks!


Song of the Month



Damn You Seventeen by Lady Antebellum - I’ve been listening to some country on my journey to work every day, and this song strikes a chord in me. Every time I listen to it I feel this sense of nostalgia like I knew it when I was in school, even though it wasn’t released until 2014.


Musical of the Month



Legally Blonde – Everyone says that Legally Blonde is their guilty pleasure, but I definitely do not feel guilty for loving Elle Woods and her story! Legally Blonde is so full of cheese it’s ridiculous, which is exactly why I love it. There’s such a fantastic message in this story, plus I find myself grinning and bouncing around whenever I listen to the soundtrack. Some of my favourite songs are: Serious, So Much Better and Legally Blonde. Oh, and did I mention that it's touring in the UK in autumn? Snaps all round!

April has definitely been a productive month for me. I’ve got this blog going and managed to read plenty of amazing books! Bring on May where hopefully this reading buzz will continue. Now as usual, let me know what you read this month. Did anything I read make it into your wrap-up? I’m all ears!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe