Top Ten Most Unique Books I've Read

4/11/2017

Here we have our first series! I found this series created by the Broke and Bookish a long time ago and have loved it ever since. I’m so excited to be participating and giving my suggestions! The topic for this week is the most unique books I’ve read, so here’s what I’ve picked:


The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - Though the plot may be slightly slow, the imagery shown throughout The Night Circus is unforgettably magical. Even though it wasn't a favourite at the time, I can't forget how the circus was described.


Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You by Holly Black & Tony DiTerlizzi - I constantly found myself flicking through Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide as a child. I was astounded by how creatures that are fictional could be written to convince me that they're real. No fantastical non-fiction book has impressed me as much as it did.

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks - Dicks' choice on narrator is what makes this book so unique. Who would've thought that an imaginary friend could care so much for their human friend, especially when they know that one day they will fade into a distant memory.

 Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff - It's quite clear  what makes Illuminae so unique! Illuminae is an epistolary that not only uses emails to form the narrative, but also swirly patterns made out of texts, diagrams and a countdown. There was no way that would've not included it on the list!

The Never-Ending Story by Michael Ende - One of the first books I read that mixed a fantasy world with our own human one. The Never-Ending Story switches between two different perspectives as you explore Fantasia and learn the consequences of not believing.

Postsecret by Frank Warren - Postsecret is the only non-fiction book on this list. It consists of pages and pages of postcards which contain various secrets sent from people around the world. Some made me cry and others made me laugh.There are many books like this, but this collection is artistic and timeless.
A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket - Loved by children and adults, this book series is matter-of-fact, cynical and formulaic. However, it is also intricately crafted to give the reader experiences of highs and lows. Within each book you get to explore different characters and worlds while experiencing the same patterns many times.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - Charlotte Bronte's most famous novel was one of the first classics I read. Jane Eyre was a rare gem in its time. When it was the norm for women to be oppressed a main character was written to be faithful to herself, making sure that she does what it right for her and the people around her. This book proves that you can be strong, even when in love.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - I have not read that many historical fiction books yet, but this one is astounding. It has been highly acclaimed by countless people. What makes it so unique? The narrator is death. He tells the story of a young fostered girl, living in Germany during Hitlers reign. Yes, it had me in tears.
The Shining by Stephen King - The Shining is one of King's best works. He terrifies the reader by making inanimate objects come to life. He uses imaginary monsters to represent the demons within ourselves. It can be rare to be horrified by one character, and so hopeful for another. When I read horror novels I always compare them to this one.

So that was my most unique books! It was tough to decide, but I managed to wittle it down. Now that you know my top ten, what is yours? Is there a book that separates itself from everything else you've read? Let me know in the comment section below!


You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Lemony Snicket's books do make for interesting reading!! I have The Night Circus in my ever growing reading pile, but have yet to read this novel... I do keep hearing great things about it though.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/04/top-ten-tuesday-my-top-seven-most.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do read it! It's a lovely book! 😊 You'll have to let me know what you think when you get round to it.

      Delete
  2. ASOUE and The Book Thief were both on my list this week too.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/11/top-ten-tuesday-102/

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe